Sunday, May 06, 2012

Circle in the Square goes round n' round

     One of the advantages of taking an extended break from blogging, is having a plethora of finished craft projects pile up to talk about. Rather than unveil the project I finished first, I'd like to revisit the project I started first:
Ta-da!

     This is the first afghan I've ever made.  I was beginning to wonder if I would ever finish it.  Funny thing is, the very thing that put a wrench in the project in the first place is what ended up helping me in the home stretch: injury.

     The first time I took a hiatus from this blanket I was forced to do so because of an achy wrist.  At that same time, I sprained my ankle running for the streetcar.  It was an achy-breaky time not suitable for crocheting.  In the time since, I've picked up the project here and there but never spent any "quality time" with it. What brought me back?  Another injury. Yes, apparently I'm teetering around on ankles made of glass.

     A couple of weeks ago I was stepping off the bus, rolled my ankle, and before I knew it I was laid up on my couch, ankle elevated and ice-packed. (Yes, I was wearing heels. Save your lecture about pregnancy and impractical footwear!). While the sprain was painful, it turns out three days of limited mobility is all it takes to complete an afghan!


Yarn: Patons Classic Wool in Mercury, Aquarium, Winter White, Jade Heather, Lemongrass, Peacock, Bright Red, Water Chesnut, and Rich Red.
Hook: 5.5mm (I went up a hook size 'cuz I'm a tight hooker - tee-hee!)
Notes/Mods: I made the blanket pretty much as written, I just changed all the colours. The pattern has you make 4 different motifs, but I just made two different motifs and alternated them.  

      I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out.  There's a lot of bad crocheted afghans out there but I think this one is modern and fun.  While it shouldn't take the year and half it took me to complete this baby, an afghan really is a lot of work. I don't think I'll be making another one any time soon but it feels fantastic to get a long lingering U.F.O. off my plate.



A cozy wool blanket just in time for summer!

1 comment:

kgirl said...

well, as much as an ankle injury is *never* wanted, finishing that afghan is a mighty sweet side-effect ;) Gorgeous... I hadn't realised how large the motifs were until the last photo - great scale!